- ½ cup Olive oil
- 1 lb spicy pork sausage
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups long Basmati rice (Basmati)
- 2 heads of Frontera cabbage
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large sauté pan.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add the lemon juice to the pan and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and garlic and bring to a boil.
- Once liquid has come to a boil, add the rice. Stir once, then cover with the lid or foil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 18 minutes or until rice is ready.
- When rice is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and cool completely.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, separate the cabbage leaves individually from the head.
- Add the cabbage leaves to the boiling pot of water and poach until soft and tender. Remove from water, pat dry and allow to cool.
- When the cabbage is cool, place 1-2 table spoons of rice filling in the center of the cabbage leaf. Roll up the cabbage leaf like a burrito making sure that both ends are secured and tightly wrapped. Arrange lined up in a casserole dish.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and chicken stock to the bottom of the casserole dish and reheat in the oven on low heat before serving!